“As a lotus flower is born in water, grows in water and rises out of water to stand above it unsoiled, so I, born in the world, raised in the world having overcome the world, live unsoiled by the world” ~Buddha
Music and serenity have a way of soothing frayed nerves, stressed lifestyles, and jumbled thoughts. Sometimes, we need to be alone with just our thoughts or even leave our thoughts behind (probably with an Elation Platinum Beam 5R on it so we don’t see it clearly) to be able to relax to clear out the cobwebs and face new challenges renewed.
Rainy days bring out the best or the worst in some of us.
Rainy days have inspired a lot of songwriters, poets and writers to write melancholic pieces that pinch the hearts of their readers/listeners.
Rainy days on the other hand, especially those that bring deluge cause flooding and ruin properties, even claiming lives.
Rainy days also mean no school for the children and this is a good reason to hone in the skills they have that do not have anything to do with school work. Practicing music, drawing pictures, even taking photos, and learning to cook are some of the ways children can cope with boredom when there is no school.
Oh,and also spelling tasks, just in case they misspell musician’s friend as musiansfriends
Learn how you can prepare select European dishes as rising culinary gem Chef Cara Davis mounts a cooking demonstration at The Maya Kitchen on October 25, Saturday, 9am-1pm.
Chef Cara will share the following recipes:
- Salmorejo Soup, an Andalusian version of gazpacho made by blending tomatoes, garlic and day old bread. The soup is then garnished with crispy Jamon Serrano and hard boiled eggs.
- Chicken Fines Herb is sautéed chicken breast paired with a rich and creamy sauce made by adding wine and jus lie to sweated shallots. Cream and finely chopped chives, tarragon, parsley and chervil finish off this classic French dish.
- Cavatelli is fresh, handmade pasta tossed with a pesto of pistachios, parmesan cheese, herbs and roasted tomatoes.
- St. Peter’s Fish is pan seared Tilapia finished with a beurre blanc sauce made by whisking chilled butter to a white wine and vinegar reduction.
- Peach Galette is a basic crust made of butter and flour, rolled out and filled with peaches flavored with cinnamon and vanilla.
Chef Cara got her culinary training from the following institution:
- Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, New York,
- French Culinary Institute in Manhattan
- New York Bartending School
Starting at the age of fifteen, chef Kara worked at Kultura and C5 at The Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, Canada.
She has also worked as a chef de partie with Chef Grant Achatz at Alinea in Chicago, Chef Daniel Humm at Eleven Madison Park in New York and most recently with Chefs Juan Marie and Elena Arzak at Restaurante Arzak in San Sebastian, Spain.
11 year-old Chef Cara became the youngest student to attend Basic Cooking, Basic Baking and Cake Decoration classes at The Maya Kitchen.
The young chef also does private catering. She is involved in charitable works, having worked as a volunteer cook for a Toronto women’s shelter and a New York soup kitchen.
Chef Cara is based abroad and is in the Philippines only for a visit.
For more information, log on to www.themayakitchen.com or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit The Maya Kitchen Culinary Center every Tuesday to Saturday at 8F Liberty Building, 835 A. Arnaiz Avenue (Pasay Road), Makati City or call 8921185 / 892-5011 local 108.
One of the recipes prepared by Chef Jaq during the Samsung Digital Appliances Saturdate with Mom event we went to was Pork Barbecue Stuffed Sweet Potato Rolls.
She used Samsung Smart Oven for this recipe.
Here are the recipes for the other dishes cooked using Samsung Smart Oven : Chicken Katsudobo and Choco Banana Cake.
Chef Jac’s Pork Barbecue Stuffed Sweet Potato Rolls
- 1000g APF
- 130g sugar
- 18g salt
- 40g shortening
- 100g butter
- 100g eggs
- 300g mashed cooked sweet potato
- 15g yeast
- 200 ml water.
- 600 g pork barbecue diced with sauce
How to Prepare:
- Mix together flour, sugar salt, yeast, and water. Beat until gluten develops.
- Add butter and shortening and continue beating until dough is elastic .
- Divide dough in 10 grams portions
- Roll and shaped into buns
- Fill with 5 g barbecue
- Let rise. Glaze with egg wash and bake in 200 c oven for 10 minutes
- Yield 60 pcs (10 g each)
One of the recipes we enjoyed tasting during the Samsung Digital Appliance Saturdate with Mom event that my youngest child and I went to was Chef Jaq’s Choco Banana Cake baked in a Samsung Smart Oven.
We love putting bananas and chocolate in baked goodies, like this Banana, Oats and Chocolate Chips Bread we bake at home.
Here is recipe of the Choco Banana Cake by Chef Jaq Laudico baked in a Samsung Smart Oven:
- 600grms apf,
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 48g baking powder
- 8g baking soda
- 1200 g coco sugar
- 125ml oil
- 375 ml water
- 150 gm butter
- 600g banana
- 83.3g milk
How to Prepare:
- Sift together cocoa powder, flour ,baking powder ,baking soda
- Add sugar water and oil . Mix well
- Add the bananas and milk
- Pour into a loaf pan
- Top with roasted nuts
- Bake 20 minutes 200 c on preheated convection setting in the Samsung Smart Oven